Saturday, March 11, 2017

A Sample From One Of My Occult Stories, - "Jerehira, The Seer": Madia, The Dancing Girl...



                                                          Image result for images of gypsies
                                                                              "'Ki shan I Romani,
                                                                               Adoi san' I chov' hani',
                                                                            ...Where Gypsies go,
                                                                               There are witches,
                                                                               We know."
                                               
                                                                         ---translation from the Romani,
                                                                                the Gypsy language.
                                                                     **********************************************
                   Romania, 1898:
I was too warm tonight. The air was close, far too close. I ran a finger around the inside of my collar; the sweat was trickling down the sides of my neck from my scalp. The fact that I had the typical thick black hair of all the males in my family didn't seem to help. You would think that all that hair would absorb some of the moisture, but no.
And, of course, in spite of the heat the gypsies had a huge fire burning the middle of their camp, besides small ones here and there. They clustered around it, the older women and men, the young wives holding chubby babies. Children scampered everywhere. Young men, their dark eyes flashing as they leaned against the big wheels of gaudy vardos smoking long pipes, were watching a lithe girl dancing around the flames as a violin played.

I couldn't help eying her too; her shapely legs were dewed with exertion. She held her skirt in her hands; I could see her frothy petticoat as she swished the fabric back and forth. Her smooth shoulders shook, the tops of her full breasts wobbling enticingly. Her wild hair flipped around an exotic face, sticking to shadowed cheekbones.

It was quite a display. I wasn't used to seeing the ankles or arms of a woman, not even my sisters, or my fiance Rosa.

The gypsy girl's dance ended as she swooped gracefully to the ground, head bowed. Some of the gauje, or non-gypsies, in the camp tossed coins around her while her family and relatives clapped and shouted their approval.

I was one of those who threw coins. She looked up at me, slyly. Then, she got to her feet, grinning and flashing her seductive eyes.  She traced a finger over the buttons of my shirt. " You want to spend some time with me, handsome one?" One of her full hips touched mine.

I backed away from her, my hands up. "No, no..."

Her eyes gleamed; she was very angry. "You think you are too good for me, for Madia!  How dare you insult me, you towny pig!" She slipped her hand under her skirt and quickly brought a small knife to my throat.

"We kindly allow the likes of you in our camp, and see how you treat us!"

"No, no!..."   I continued to back up. "I'm here to talk with the seer. I was only admiring your skill as a dancer!  You are very, very beautiful!"  My voice caught on the last words.

Madia smiled and tousled my hair. "So, you find me attractive!  How good to hear!  Perhaps, after you meet with my grandmother Jerehira you will come to see me!" 
She pointed to a far tent, a simple affair made of bent branches and coarse cloth. "I will be there, eating biscuits and drinking tea. Dancing makes one thirsty. Maybe you have wine or other refreshment with you, ---hmmm..., handsome man "

"Yes, yes !  I have a flask of good whiskey in my back pocket."

Maida reached behind me, patted my pants. "So, you do!   Excellent! What is your name, pretty one?"

"Dorin."

"Then, Dorin.  Go to the vardo at the far edge of the camp, the green one with the heavy golden trim.  Do you see it?"

"Yes..."

"Now, off with you!" She swatted my hip.

I practically ran to the vardo, as she directed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment